It’s almost that time of year, guys. Fourth of July is tomorrow so let’s get the fixings for some apple pie and grab a few fireworks because it’s time to celebrate.
There isn’t anything more appropriate for the 4th than to get the family together and go camping. I remember growing up in Indiana and hitching up our Cougar for a long weekend at Turkey Run campgrounds. You never need an excuse to be with the ones you love but we took advantage of the holiday timing and soaked up every minute of it.
Everyone’s family is different, some like to park their camper and sit by the fire, others will stay inside and watch TV, and a few just camp on the road, driving night to night experiencing different parts of the country. Wherever your holiday mood and traditions take you, there are plenty of activities you and yours can do to appreciate the holiday weekend even more. Here are a few ideas:
- Set up a campsite scavenger hunt.
- This is a family favorite because it keeps the kids active and busy, allowing some relax time for the parents to sit outside drinking their lemonade and enjoying the weather without chasing around the munchkins.
- Make ice cream
- No… don’t go to the store and buy Ben & Jerry’s. You’re better than that. Check out some recipes on how to make your own, it’s fun! Here’s a list of 27 flavors to try out:
- Campsite Lemonade Stand
- They’ve tried it on the cul-de-sac; now let the kids give it a whirl in their other neighborhood, the campground. All the neighbors will be worn out, hot and hungry after their hikes and there isn’t anything better than an ice-cold glass of lemonade.
- Water balloon fights
- This is another “beat the heat” idea. Get a few of the local kids and fill up the balloons for some family fun. Use the utility shower on your Holiday World Cougar (shameless plug) and watch their faces light up!
- Backyard DIY games
- I found this cool list of do-it-yourself games to try right at your site. See which ones you can do!
- Fireworks (of course)
- Enough said.
So get on out there and enjoy the holiday. These are memories that you and your kids will never forget. Comment below to let us know how you spent your weekend!
All the best and happy camping,
The Holiday World Team